Plymouth Rock
Few objects in American history are as instantly recognizable—or surrounded by as much legend—as Plymouth Rock. Sitting today beneath its granite portico on the edge of Plymouth Harbor, the rock has come to symbolize the arrival of the Mayflower passengers and the beginnings of Plymouth Colony in 1620. Yet there is no contemporary account stating that the Pilgrims actually stepped onto this particular rock when they came ashore.

The story did not emerge until more than a century later. In 1741, when a wharf was going to be built over the site, 94-year-old Thomas Faunce reportedly identified the rock as the place where the Pilgrims had first landed. Faunce’s father had arrived in Plymouth in 1623, and according to tradition, the story had been passed down through the earliest generations of the colony. Whether his recollection was historically accurate can never be proven, but from that moment the rock became an increasingly important symbol.
Plymouth Rock itself has had quite a journey. In 1774, as revolutionary sentiment was growing, townspeople attempted to move it to Plymouth’s town square. During the effort, the rock split in two. One portion remained near the waterfront while the other was moved to the square and later to Pilgrim Hall. In 1880, the pieces were reunited at the waterfront, and the date “1620” was carved into the rock. The classical granite portico we are standing beside was completed in 1921 as part of Plymouth’s 300th anniversary commemorations.
After centuries of paintings, stories, school lessons, and mythology, the actual rock is relatively small. Perhaps that is part of what makes standing here so interesting. Its importance has never really been about its size, or even about proving that a Pilgrim stepped upon it. Plymouth Rock has endured because generations of Americans chose this simple piece of stone as a physical connection to a story that began here more than four centuries ago.
Read More From Nancy
Torrent No. 4
Inside Plymouth’s historic courthouse, we found another remarkable piece of the town’s everyday history: Torrent No. 4, a hand-drawn suction fire engine built in Boston by Stephen Thayer in 1828. Long before motorized fire trucks and modern hydrants, equipment like this represented some of the best technology available to a community trying to protect its […]
The Jabez Howland House
Among the many historic houses in Plymouth, the Jabez Howland House has a distinction that makes it extraordinary. Built about 1667, it is considered the only surviving building in Plymouth where people who actually arrived aboard the Mayflower are known to have spent time. Those people were John Howland and his wife, Elizabeth Tilley Howland. […]
A Grease Horn
Among all the objects that survive from Plymouth’s earliest years, some of the most interesting are not the rare or elaborate possessions, but the simple tools people used in their daily lives. This small grease horn dates from approximately 1635–1665 and is identified as coming from Plymouth. A grease horn was a practical container, usually […]