Odd Fellow Building – 1887
In downtown Natick, there is this brick building marked “Odd Fellow Building – 1887”. This building was purposely built as the home of the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, one of the most influential fraternal organizations in 19th century America.

Completed in 1887, the building was designed from the outset to serve two functions. The upper floor housed the lodge room and ceremonial hall of Takawanbait Lodge, while the lower floors were devoted to storefronts and offices that could be rented to local businesses. This was a planned investment.

In the late 1800s, the Odd Fellows were a major mutual aid institution, composed of merchants, tradesmen and civic leaders. The Odd Fellows provided sick benefits, funeral expenses and assistance during times of unemployment or hardship. Members paid regular dues over many years, building financial reserves that made ambitious projects possible.
The Takawanbait Lodge was named in honor of Daniel Takawambait, a Native Christian leader associated with Natick’s early Praying Indian community.
Read More From Nancy
Natick: The First Praying Indian Town
In 1651, missionary Rev. John Eliot established Natick as the first of the “Praying Indian” towns in Massachusetts. He named the town after the Natick American word Natick, translated as a place of hills or a place of searching. He worked closely with local Massachusett and Nipmic people, teaching them Christianity in their native tongue and translating the Bible […]
The Harwood Baseball Factory
In 1858, Harrison Harwood, a Natick resident and local businessman, built what would become one of the most historically significant small factories in American sports: The Harwood Baseball Factory. This factory was more than a local industry, but the birthplace of professional baseball. Harwood’s factory was the first in the US devoted entirely to the manufacture of […]
The Henri Prunaret History Room
Living in Natick, I have passed through the Morse Institute Library many times, but there are details inside the building that connect directly to the history of the town. One of them is this beautiful entrance to the Henri Prunaret History Room, framed by old brickwork, Gothic arches, and colorful stained glass. The Morse Institute […]