Shaw Park
Shaw Park, located in South Natick, is not a grand park in the monumental sense. Yet, it is a space with a profound sense of intention as captured in the words that accompanied its gift to the town of Natick:
“For the use of the Public Forever”
These words were written by Isabella Hunnewell Shaw. Isabella was a member of the prominent Hunnewell family, long associated with South Natick and the stewardship of land along the Charles River. The Hunnewells were known not only for their resources, but for a deep sense of civic responsibility. In a time when land along rivers were often fenced or developed, she chose a different path, one rooted in access and beauty.
In the late 19th century, the Hunnewell property in South Natick included a hotel and resort complex, known as the Hunnewell Hotel. The hotel sat on what is now Shaw Park and was part of a broader pattern of river-side retreats popular at the time.
In 1906, the Hunnewell Hotel was destroyed by fire. At a time when many families would have rebuilt, the Hunnewells made a deliberate decision. The land was to be allowed to return to open space and towards permanent public benefit. Isabella Hunnewell Shaw’s legacy aligns with a 19th and early 20th century tradition of New England philanthropy that emphasized public good over personal recognition.
Today, Shaw Park remains a living expression of the Hunnewell values. The park continues to serve exactly as she wrote: “for the use of the public forever”.

Read More From Nancy
The Harwood Baseball Factory
In 1858, Harrison Harwood, a Natick resident and local businessman, built what would become one of the most historically significant small factories in American sports: The Harwood Baseball Factory. This factory was more than a local industry, but the birthplace of professional baseball. Harwood’s factory was the first in the US devoted entirely to the manufacture of […]
Walnut Hill School for the Arts
For more than 130 years, Walnut Hill School has been one of Natick’s most distinctive institutions. Founded in 1893 by Wellesley College graduates Florence Bigelow and Charlotte Conant, the school began as a college preparatory boarding school for young women. At a time when opportunities for women in higher education were still expanding, Walnut Hill […]
The Squares of Natick: Remembering the Names Behind Our Freedom
On a crisp fall day, walking through Natick is more than just enjoying the foliage — it’s also a journey through history. Scattered across town are memorial squares, quiet markers that carry the names of those who served, sacrificed, and shaped the story of our community. Three in particular stand out: Dennis J. Moran Square, […]